SPOGBOLT   |   Location: Newfoundland, Canada

February 04, 2007

Painful transition to New Blogger (4)

Your indulgence, dear reader(s). I've just spent most of the evening trying to get the much-touted new Blogger to work. I waited until Blogger kicked me off the old version, correctly anticipating that there would be many bugs in the new one for some time after it was made available. But even so, the new Blogger first displays a blank editing frame when I try to edit an existing post. The official help section suggests that I switch from my Opera browser to IE6 or Firefox. The Blogger technical people seem to look down their noses at anyone not using Firefox, but last time I checked Firefox it seemed too big for my machine. So, I download and install IE6, which takes the best part of an hour (and incidentally wipes out all bookmarks from IE5: nice going, Bill). Lo and behold, I can't even log in to Blogger with IE6 . . . . CONTINUE

3 Comments:

Blogger What's in a Name? said...

I have just (re)discovered Firefox - it's has a smaller footprint than Opera, my current favourite browser. Opera was great when I had to cope with dial up, but I have found Firefox very straightforward on the 4 days I've been using it. I dislike IE6 and refuse to use IE7 until Gates make me!

February 05, 2007 8:48 p.m.  
Blogger Mr. Spog said...

Thanks for that information ... I was under the impression Firefox was a larger application, but probably I was thinking of the resources needed to compile it, not just to run an existing copy.

February 05, 2007 9:53 p.m.  
Blogger Rick Darby said...

Blogger Reloaded seems to work well enough with Firefox. I suppose that is what it was designed for.

I agree with you that the new Blogger mountain has labored and brought forth a mouse. Yes, you can aggregate your comments by topic, but that's about all that I find useful. They claim it's easy to modify the design, and maybe it is -- as long as you're willing to abandon your old template and start over! Having already tweaked one of their standard templates, I don't care to do it all over again.

Still no trackback function (although Vanishing American tells me you can get that if you switch to HaloScan for comments -- I don't understand how that can change Blogger, but I'll experiment); no way to ping syndication sites.

Still, to be fair, I have found Blogger to be reliable and easy to use.

February 07, 2007 3:59 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home